One million years ago, I made the following render... 't'was in 2010 actually, and it was my render number S00009.
And I've always been quite fond of that one, the mood of the scene, the colors, the composition... And more than anything else, the "realism" I achieved there had this je-ne-sais-quoi that distinguished it from the previous scenes I had been working on. It was a personal achievement at that time and felt like a milestone, which filled me with pride.
Sure, it wasn't perfect at all. The character lacked weight and felt too floaty, the whole pose was slightly awkward and a bit disjointed.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed the result and it remained one of my favs for ages.
Over the years I often tried to recreate Demo with my modern tools to make him more harmonious with my other rebuilt characters. But it never went very far and I always gave up after a while.
Demo has been absent for ages and this was one of the main reasons : he wasn't available due to my laziness.
Some weeks ago I decided to give it another try. I managed to complete a proto Demo, felt quite proud of myself, and went on til he was "done".
At this point, I needed a scene to put him in. Searching for inspiration, I dug through my old renders (a painfully embarrassing exercice !) in order to recapture his essence. And as I scrolled back in time, I stopped on this render.
"I want to recreate this scene !"
My first reaction was to go to my render folder, in order to TRY to load that project file from 2010 and steal all the assets composing the scene.
I knew it would probably not work and that it would require annoying and exhausting extra steps in order to get it to load. I already felt like giving up.
Luckily for me, the file couldn't even be found anymore : I remembered that I deleted some of the oldest ones, especially for this very reason; that the files wouldn't be compatible anymore.
Thanks, past me.
And so, instead of going the lazy (and annoying road), I had to go the annoying road and search for all those elements in my now 8-9 years old gigantic library.
What a mess.
But I eventually found them.
Building the scene wasn't too challenging. The actually challenge came when I had to create an atmosphere.
Initially, I intended to go with the original one. But I also wanted something different... I wanted colors and contrasts.
And so, after ages and ages of attempts and variations, I finally completed the project.
Render number S01020. Wow.
Welcome back, Demo.